is under the Pastoral Care of the Passionist Congregation
Monastery: 65 Harrington Street, Hobart
Phone: (03) 6234 4866
St. Joseph’s Church is located on the corner of Macquarie & Harrington Streets in central Hobart. It is the centre of worship for the Hobart Catholic Parish. St Joseph’s is the oldest Catholic Church in Hobart. The first Mass was celebrated on Christmas Day 1841.
The Community at St Joseph’s welcomes visitors. Recent visitors commented, “We want to pass on a heartfelt thanks for your warm welcome at Saturday Night Mass. We thought that you and your parishioners deserved to know how much it meant to two travellers.”
As the church endeavours to respond to the Corona Virus crisis we as a parish community commit ourselves to providing an environment which will promote the physical health and well being of all people especially the elderly and vulnerable people in our society. We recognise the inconvenience and challenges associated with this response and the indefinite timeline placed before us. We pray daily for those whose lives are impacted through contracting the Corona Virus and the medical staff and families who care for them.
OUR PARISH COMMITMENT: We the parishioners of St. Joseph’s are committed to the care, well being and protection of children, young people and people at risk in our community. We uphold that child protection and the dignity of every person is the responsibility of every adult.
CONDITIONS FOR ENTRY INTO ST JOSEPH’S CHURCH
ON ENTRY INTO THE CHURCH
- Sanitise your hands.
- People aged 12 years and over must wear a face mask inside the church. People with medical exemptions may not need to wear masks.
- Each individual aged over 16 years must check in and record their contact tracing details on every entry no matter how short the visit.
- Visitors and parishioners with a smartphone should use the Tasmanian Government’s ‘Check in TAS’ phone app to record their contact details. After scanning the QR code show the “Welcomer”, if present, your screen to confirm that you have successfully checked-in.
- The free Check in Tas app is available for download from the Google Play and Apple App stores. If you need more information, check the Tasmanian Government coronavirus website.
- If you do not have a mobile phone or cannot use the app you may be checked in by another visitor or you must record your contact details using the paper based recording system provided.
- For the safety of all visitors please maintain COVID-19 social distancing of 1.5 metres.