is under the Pastoral Care of the Passionist Congregation
Monastery: 65 Harrington Street, Hobart
Phone: (03) 6234 4866
St. Joseph’s Church is located on the corner of Macquarie & Harrington Streets in central Hobart. It is the centre of worship for the Hobart Catholic Parish. St Joseph’s is the oldest Catholic Church in Hobart. The first Mass was celebrated on Christmas Day 1841.
The Community at St Joseph’s welcomes visitors. Recent visitors commented, “We want to pass on a heartfelt thanks for your warm welcome at Saturday Night Mass. We thought that you and your parishioners deserved to know how much it meant to two travellers.”
As a parish community, we commit ourselves to providing an environment which will promote the physical health and wellbeing of all people especially the elderly and vulnerable people in our society. We pray daily for those whose lives are impacted through contracting the Covid Virus and the medical staff and families who care for them.
OUR PARISH COMMITMENT: We the parishioners of St. Joseph’s are committed to the care, well being and protection of children, young people and people at risk in our community. We uphold that child protection and the dignity of every person is the responsibility of every adult.
CONDITIONS FOR ENTRY INTO ST JOSEPH’S CHURCH
(revised – 22nd July, 2022)
ON ENTRY INTO THE CHURCH
- Sanitise your hands, no matter how short the visit.
- Please maintain COVID-19 social distancing.
- Cover coughs or sneezes.
- It is highly recommended that you wear a mask in Church
- If you have a cold, sore throat or flu like symptoms you are requested to wear a face mask while inside the church
- You are reminded to stay at home and arrange testing if experiencing cold or flu like symptoms.
- Please wear a mask where possible when receiving the Sacrament of Reconciliation
- During communion, please take the host on the hand for the safety of the Celebrant, Eucharistic Minister and vulnerable members of our Congregation.